Hi! Welcome to Vancouver Counselling Services. I'm Dr. Suzanne LaCombe and I'd like to introduce you to our group.
We are a group of counsellors in the Vancouver BC area who individually run our own private practices. We have a few things in common we think you'd like to know:
- Vancouver Counselling Services psychologists and counsellors believe in the importance of a good connection between the counsellor and the client. We feel a good fit makes the difference between results that are mediocre and relief that's long lasting.
- Because the effectiveness of our approach depends on establishing and maintaining a good connection with the client, all the psychologists and counselors at Vancouver Counselling Services also believe in the importance of doing our own personal counselling.
- We have a unique perspective in this regard. We feel our personal counselling not only enriches our lives but also enhances our ability to be open, resourceful and empathic with our clients. In other words, we know what it’s like to be in the other chair!
Click below to learn more about an individual counsellor or psychologist:
Counsellor & Psychologist Listings
Frequently Asked Questions
We have gathered together a few FAQs from clients who are just beginning counselling. We have answered them here to help you decide if our approach is right for you.
- “I don’t know what to expect. I’ve never seen a counsellor before.”
- It's natural to feel a little curious about what happens in counselling (especially given the way the media sometimes portrays it). A good cousellor will help guide the session to explain what typically happens. One of the questions you might be asked is what you would like to see different in your life.
Feel free to ask any questions that may come up before your session begins or at any point during your therapy.
- "Do you offer free initial consultations?"
- Each counsellor offers a free initial phone consultation to briefly give you a sense of how you might relate to the individual counsellor. We will also determine if we do work in the area of your concern.
- “I know something is wrong. I know I’m not working to my potential”
- We've found that many people are living below what they are capable of achieving. In fact, it's been our experience that once clients are symptom free, they continue to use counselling because they see the results in their lives. We certainly feel this way (which is why many of us continue to expand our lives through our own personal counselling).
- “It’s hard for me to talk to someone I don’t know”
- Many first-time clients actually feel the same way. A good counsellor will create a safe and comfortable environment to make you feel at ease. You will find that psychologists and counsellors of Vancouver Counselling Services know how to make you feel at ease. You might say it's our specialty.
- “I’m feeling stuck. I can’t seem to change and make it stick”
- Being stuck in repetitive patterns is a frustrating experience. Recent advances in mind body research enable us to understand what is necessary to change those patterns.
Although the psychologists and counsellors of Vancouver Counselling Services have a wide range of training and experience, we all agree on one thing: the undeniable power of the body-mind connection for creating lasting change.
- “I don’t know if my problem can be solved”
- When you’ve tried so hard to change and nothing has worked out you can end up believing it isn’t possible. Many people are pleasantly surprised however to learn that the new science of how the brain works makes change possible that was previously unattainable.
We look forward to showing you how!